International borders open doors for both threats and opportunities, depending upon the relative geopolitical positioning and economic mightiness of the recipient side. Managing these doors in a smart way so as to facilitate positive movement and curb unwanted activities has been a challenge for border guarding forces.
India has a large and complex land border of around 15 thousand kms shared with seven neighbouring countries. In addition, a coastline of roughly 7.5 thousand km is distributed among 09 coastal states and 04 UTs of India. Factors like varied terrain, difficult climatic conditions, different relations with neighbouring countries etc. make safe guarding our borders challenging and vulnerable.
India being an increasingly globalised and service-oriented economy relies heavily on the movement of goods and people. Border management therefore can just not be reflected as a control mechanism for curbing insurgency, illegal migration, smuggling and other anti-national activities. Facilitation to cross border trade is a key element of border management which ensures progress of neighbouring nations. Development of border areas and well beings of border communities is another function being performed by border guarding forces which is also essential to ensure cultural connects and harmony in border areas.
The threat dynamics to national security of India are evolving, and technology, in turn, will act as a force multiplier for India to foil illegal attempts to penetrate its sovereign borders. Indian Government is inclined to deploy technological solutions to handle border threats. With this background, Federation of Indian Chamber of Commerce and Industry (FICCI) in association with 'India Foundation' concepulised "Smart Border Management " programme to discuss and debate issues for smart and effective border management in India.
Smart Border Management - 2019
The 4th edition of ‘Smart Border Management’ programme will be organised on December 16-17, 2019 at FICCI, New Delhi. The theme of this year’s programme is ‘Contribution of Smart Borders Towards $5 Trillion Economy’.
Organised jointly by ‘India Foundation’ and ‘FICCI’, the Smart Border Management 2019 aims at improving India’s GDP Growth rate as there is a strong correlation between Border Security and Economic Competitiveness of the Country. The path to achieving the country's target of a USD 5-trillion economy will be facilitated through Smart Border Management.
Furthermore, the programme will address emerging challenges faced by India in smart border management, by bringing stakeholders together to discuss how India can create smart borders. We are witnessing a hybrid warfare where new age tools such as Cyber warfare, Trade Warfare, Space Warfare are a reality.
Conference Key Focus Areas:
- Guarding the Borders: What the Indian Forces Need
- Technologies & Solutions for Perimeter Security
- India’s Evolving Coastal Security Architecture: Harnessing Technology
- Safeguarding Cyber-Attacks Against Satellite Communications Systems: A Digital Threat Reality Affecting the Maritime Industry
- Unmanned Systems as the New Face of Coastal and Border Security
- Border, Fences & Technologies: Looking through the Lens of Border Community
Whom Do You Expect to Meet
- Ministry of Home Affairs: AR, BSF, ITBP, SSB
- Ministry of Defence: Indian Army, Indian Navy, Indian Cost Guard
- Ministry of External Affairs
- Ministry of Telecommunications
- Ministry of Shipping
- Ministry of Road, Transport & Highways
- State Police Forces
- Lands Ports Authority of India
- Central Board of Excise & Customs
- Global & Domestic Industry Players
- Border Communities
- Think Tanks
- Multilateral Organizations
- Other Stakeholders